For over 30 years, dedicated members of the Triratna Buddhist Community have given time, energy, money, skills and love to bring the teachings of the Buddha to life in Bristol.
This is how the Bristol Buddhist Centre still runs today – on the basis of what we all give. Our Centre costs around £275 a day to run, and as we have no central source of funding we make a charge for some of our events. As many events as possible are offered on a radical basis – generosity (dana). Rather than charge for these classes, we ask only for donations. Although we may suggest a guideline donation, you are free to give whatever you are able – whether more or less than our suggestion – as an expression of appreciation and gratitude. If you are a taxpayer, please also fill in a gift aid form so we can reclaim the tax on your donation.
Through the practice of giving, we diminish self-clinging and respond to the needs of others. When you value what is offered, you will be inspired to help us offer that gift to more people. This continues a Buddhist tradition has provided places for the practice of Buddhism and meditation for 2,500 years.
To make a donation now, go to the bottom of the page to give online.
Other Ways of Giving
The most obvious form of generosity is to give money – put money in the dana bowl when you visit or set up a standing order to help the Buddhist Centre with a regular steady income. Your donations make an invaluable contribution to our activities, allowing us to keep charges to a minimum and to run more events on a dana basis, thus allowing as many people as possible to attend.
Dana can also take many other forms; there are so many things that one can share with others! All our meditation classes, Dharma courses and events are given by those teaching in this spirit of dana.
You can help the Buddhist Centre by sharing:
- your friendliness: come to Friends night & festivals, support classes, courses & open days
- your time: put up posters & flyers at your work or around town, cook food to bring for festival days
- your things: bring flowers, candles, incense, tea-bags; donate books to the book sale or Dharma books to the library
- your energy: in cleaning and maintaining the Centre
- your skills: if you have regular time to offer and skills we might use (eg book-keeping, graphic design, IT & admin) talk to us about what we need at the moment
You could also consider leaving the Bristol Buddhist Centre a gift in your will. For advice on making a will see Keeping the Three Jewels Shining.
Triratna Buddhist Community in Bristol Reg. Charity number: 900165